- Scope includes supply of 48 SG 3.4-132 and 14 SWT-2.3-108 wind turbines for Southern Power and a 20-year service and maintenance agreement
Siemens Gamesa awarded order for 198.5 MW wind project in Kansas, USA
“We are pleased to partner with Southern Power for the Reading Wind project and we are committed to upholding the highest standard of safety, availability and reliability that we are known for providing,” said Darnell Walker, Head of Service Americas at Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy.
In total, Siemens Gamesa has provided turbines for more than 150 project sites with an output capacity of more than 18 GW in the U.S., enough energy to power over five million average homes, and has a strong U.S. footprint consisting of manufacturing, service and offices. In Kansas, Siemens Gamesa has 484 wind turbines installed across nine projects totalling over 1,000 MW. Southern Power has previously partnered with Siemens Gamesa on four other wind turbine project installations totalling over 300 turbines, totalling approximately 720 MW installed and under service.
A total of 2,397 SWT-2.3-108 wind turbines have been installed in the U.S. accounting for 5.5 GW of installed capacity across 31 projects. The first SG 3.4-132 wind turbine for the U.S. was completed in August 2018. This product features an output of 3.465 megawatts and a rotor diameter of 132 meters. These turbines are optimized for Class II sites to maximize energy production with low noise emission levels.
Southern Power, a subsidiary of Southern Company, is a leading U.S. wholesale energy provider meeting the electricity needs of municipalities, electric cooperatives, investor-owned utilities, and commercial and industrial customers.
Siemens Gamesa is a global leader in the wind power industry, with a strong presence in all facets of the wind business: offshore (#1), onshore (#2) and services (#2). In 2017, the company placed first on the turbine OEM ranking compiled by Make Consultancy with a market share of over 17%.
Through its advanced digital capabilities, the company offers one of the broadest product portfolios in the industry as well as industry-leading service solutions, helping to make clean energy more affordable and reliable. With 87 GW installed worldwide, Siemens Gamesa manufactures, installs and maintains wind turbines in the onshore and offshore segments. Its order backlog stands at €23 billion. The company is headquartered in Spain and listed on the Spanish stock exchange (traded in the Ibex-35 index).
Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy, S.A. Press release - Siemens Gamesa awarded order for 198.5 MW wind project in Kansas, USA. URL: https://www.siemensgamesa.com/en-int/newsroom/2018/10/20181025-sgre-awarded-orde.... [Date Accessed: 25/10/2018].
- The company will supply 57 of its Siemens Gamesa 3.X platform turbines to the Kola wind farm
- Second contract for Siemens Gamesa in growing Russian market
- Siemens Gamesa will supply 60 units of its SG 4.5-145 wind turbines with a flexible power rating of 4.2 MW to Enel Green Power’s Parque Amistad III and IV wind farms in Coahuila, Mexico
- Projects were awarded during the 2017 Mexican Auction
- The company is to install ten SG 3.4-132 turbines with a total capacity of 34.6 MW
- The main components will be manufactured in the Aoiz (Navarra) and Ágreda (Soria) plants
- The company will supply 26 of its SG 3.4-132 turbines at Enel Russia’s Azovskaya wind farm