- Samuel Leupold, former CEO of Ørsted Wind Power, joins GIG as Chairman of Wind Energy
- Mr Leupold will support GIG’s global strategy for onshore and offshore wind
Samuel Leupold Joins Green Investment Group as Chairman of Wind Energy
Mr Leupold brings to the role over 20 years of professional experience in the energy sector. In his most recent position as CEO of Ørsted Wind Power, he led the organisation to its prominent position as a leading developer and owner of offshore wind assets. Under his tenure, Ørsted delivered the industry’s first zero subsidy offshore wind farm bids in 2017’s ground-breaking German auction. Prior to Ørsted, Mr Leupold held roles at ABB and McKinsey & Company specialising in utilities and industrials.
In his new role helping to shape GIG’s global wind strategy, Mr Leupold will support the continued expansion of GIG’s global footprint, and will bring his senior industrial background to complement GIG’s in-house technical capability to support the organisation’s growing development activity.
GIG is a leading global green investor and one of the world’s largest teams of specialist green investors, managing, and investing in projects from development to operation across four continents. As investors increasingly show an appetite for low-carbon assets, GIG is responding by moving earlier into the project lifecycle. By investing globally in development projects, platforms and businesses, GIG is working to deliver a sustainable pipeline of high-quality investment opportunities.
GIG is a leading sponsor of both offshore and onshore wind projects. In offshore wind, GIG has invested in 14 projects totalling over 4.5GW of capacity, taking a pioneering role in emerging offshore wind markets and a leading presence in European markets. In onshore wind, GIG has played a sponsor role on more than 1GW of PPA and hedge backed projects across Europe and North America in the last two years, supporting the growing transition to subsidy-free renewables.
Samuel Leupold, Chairman of Wind Energy, GIG said: " Wind is undoubtedly now a mainstream energy source, but the industry continues to evolve rapidly, presenting huge opportunities for those who can anticipate and shape the future of the ever-changing market. GIG’s ability to innovate and create cutting edge financial solutions, sets it apart in its ability to thrive in this environment and I’m very excited to be joining their world class team." "
Mark Dooley, Global Head of GIG, said: " Samuel has been a pivotal figure in the rapid development of the offshore wind industry. We are delighted he is bringing that pioneering outlook and his deep understanding of the construction and industrial aspects of wind power to join GIG in our mission to accelerate the transition to a green global economy." "
Tel: +44 7920 212813
About Green Investment Group and Macquarie Group
Green Investment Group Limited (GIG) is a specialist in green infrastructure principal investment, project delivery and the management of portfolio assets, and related services. Its track record, expertise and capability make it a global leader in green investment, dedicated to supporting the growth of the global green economy.
GIG is part of Macquarie Group Limited (Macquarie), a diversified financial group providing clients with asset management and finance, banking, advisory and risk and capital solutions across debt, equity and commodities. Founded in 1969, Macquarie employs 14,469 people in over 25 countries. At 31 March 2018, Macquarie had assets under management of £309.9 billion. For further information, visit www.macquarie.com.
For more information, visit www.greeninvestmentgroup.com and www.macquarie.com.
Green Investment Group Limited . Press release - Samuel Leupold Joins Green Investment Group as Chairman of Wind Energy. URL: http://greeninvestmentgroup.com/news-and-insights/2019/samuel-leupold-joins-gree.... [Date Accessed: 24/04/2019].
- Taiwan’s Formosa 2 offshore wind farm reaches financial close
- Once complete, Formosa 2 will be one of the largest offshore wind projects in Taiwan, displacing an estimated 18,750 kt CO2e over its lifetime
- The NT$62.4 bn project will be financed by a consortium of 20 international and local Taiwanese financial institutions.
- Macquarie’s Green Investment Group (GIG) has entered an agreement to acquire a 40% stake in Iberdrola’s ScottishPower Renewables’ 714 MW East Anglia ONE offshore wind farm
- The partnership will be the first between GIG and Iberdrola’s ScottishPower Renewables in the UK
- Macquarie and GIG have now supported almost 50% of the UK’s offshore wind capacity
- Green Investment Group (GIG) installs Korea’s first floating LiDAR system.
- The LiDAR will collect wind resource data and its installation marks a critical step in the development of GIG’s first offshore wind project in South Korea, located off the coast of Ulsan City.
- The project will contribute to the local economic development of Ulsan and support the South Korean Government’s - ‘Renewable Energy 3020 Implementation Plan’