Moray East Signs Firm Order with MHI Vestas Offshore Wind
Moray Offshore Windfarm (East) Limited, known as Moray East, is a 950 MW offshore wind project 22km from the coast of Scotland, which in 2017 won a Contract for Difference (CfD) from the UK Government to supply electricity at £57.50/MWh, representing a significant cost reduction compared with similar projects under construction today (typically £140/MWh).
Project Director for Moray East, Oscar Diaz, said, “Moray East is a landmark project for the offshore wind industry, delivering sustainable, renewable generation at a highly competitive power price. The project will bring new opportunities to areas including Fraserburgh, where we have announced the windfarm’s operations and maintenance base will be located, and in the Cromarty Firth, where the port was last week selected as the pre-assembly port. We look forward to working with MHI Vestas, particularly in Fraserburgh and in Invergordon, where we have ongoing plans for local supply chain engagement.”
MHI Vestas CEO, Philippe Kavafyan, said, “We are pleased that Moray East has reached financial close. With the signing of the firm order, we can accelerate preparations for our company’s largest MW project to date. Installing the world’s most powerful commercial turbine, the V164-9.5 MW, in Moray Firth means more local, clean energy jobs in Scotland and across the UK, including our most recent expansion of blade production on the Isle of Wight.”
In May, Moray East announced Fraserburgh as the preferred Operations and Maintenance port for the project and last month, the Port of Cromarty Firth was selected as the pre-assembly harbour, sending a strong signal that the project is progressing on schedule.
The news from MHI Vestas comes on the heels of its recent announcement that the company’s blade factory on the Isle of Wight received a second blade mould and is in the process of hiring 380 new, direct jobs to keep pace with growing demand.
MHI Vestas Offshore Wind A/S. Press release - Moray East Signs Firm Order with MHI Vestas Offshore Wind. URL: http://www.mhivestasoffshore.com/moray-east-signs-firm-order-with-mhi-vestas/. [Date Accessed: 06/12/2018].
- Project to utilize 58 SG 8.0-167 DD offshore wind turbines; 17-year Long Term Service agreement with logistics included
- SeaMade is the name of two combined offshore wind projects, previously known as Mermaid (235 MW) and Seastar (252 MW)
- Clean energy to be provided to 485,000 households
- Installation and commissioning expected to be completed before the end of 2020
- 900 MW projects to utilize approx. 112 SG 8.0-167 DD offshore wind turbines; Service agreement included
- Subject to final contract, Siemens Gamesa will establish a nacelle assembly facility near Taichung Harbor for start of production in 2021, going beyond the localisation requirements
- Local tower supply set-up through CS Wind and Chin-Fong partnership to be used
- Offshore construction for the projects to begin in 2021
Business & Finance
Project Development & Execution
Business & Finance