- Events to be held in South Killingholme (30/1), Waltham (04/02) and Tetney (05/02)
- 39km cable route will run from Horseshoe Point to North Killingholme
- Both Ørsted and contractor VolkerInfra will be in attendance to share plans and answer questions
Ørsted to hold community information events about the onshore cable route for Hornsea Two
Hornsea Two is in the early stages of construction and when complete in 2022 will be the biggest offshore wind farm in the world, capable of powering well over 1.3 million UK homes. It will be located 89km out to sea alongside its sister project Hornsea One.
Although the wind farm is located out to sea, the clean electricity needs to be carried onshore to a substation, where it will be connected to the National Grid, before reaching millions of homes across the UK.
The 39km onshore cable route runs from Horseshoe Point, east of Tetney, to the substation site in North Killingholme, adjacent to the Hornsea One substation. Works will be undertaken by Lancashire-based VolkerInfra.
The events will take place from 30 January to 4 February in South Killingholme, Waltham and Tetney, and both Ørsted and VolkerInfra will be in attendance to provide information on the cable route and details on how the cable will be installed. The works are expected to begin in March 2019.
Duncan Clark, Project Director for both Hornsea One and Two, said: “We’ve been building offshore wind farms in the UK for over ten years and we know from experience how important it is to make sure local residents, businesses and stakeholders are up to date with our plans, and that they have the opportunity to ask both us and our contractors any questions.”
“Following our community exhibition last July, these information events will focus specifically on plans for the onshore cable works including environmental aspects, methods of installation and traffic management.”
“I really encourage any local residents, members of Parish Councils and local businesses along the cable route to attend these events if they can. Meeting and speaking with someone directly from the project team means that people can ask specifically about what the works mean for them and learn more about this world-leading project that I hope people in the area will be proud of.”
Ørsted is constructing a multi-million pound offshore wind operations and maintenance centre in Grimsby, the largest of its kind in the UK, and places great importance on engaging with local communities. As well as regular updates through newsletters and online, a dedicated community liaison officer has been appointed so members of the public have a direct line to the project. Ørsted also donates £465,000 each year, via the East Coast Community Fund, which is allocated to projects up and down the East England coast.
The events are free to attend and people can drop in throughout the afternoon: there is no need to book in advance. For specific enquiries please contact:
Freephone information line
0800 111 4478
The Freephone information line is open for calls between 9am and 5pm, Monday
to Friday, with an answer phone facility to take messages outside these hours.
Community Liaison Team
We have a dedicated Community Liaison Team who cover both projects in an onshore capacity. They are the first point of contact for enquiries from the local community or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
About Hornsea Two
- Hornsea 2 has a capacity of 1.4GW – enough power for well over 1.3 million homes
- It will consist of 165 Siemens Gamesa 8MW turbines, with the majority of the 81m blades to be made in Hull
- It will be located 89km off the coast of Yorkshire
- Construction of the onshore substation on North Killingholme began in July 2018
- Hornsea 2 is expected to be completed in 2022
- It will be operated from Ørsted’s new operations hub in Grimsby which will be the largest facility of its kind in the UK when built
- The onshore cable will run along a 39km route from the landfall at Horseshoe Point to the onshore substation in North Killingholme
- The cable route will broadly mirror the route followed by Hornsea One, for which the cable is fully installed and the final topsoil reinstatement will complete in the spring
- Horizontal Directional Drilling (HDD) will be used to drill under major roads and railways to ensure we minimise disruption to the local community.
- The cable will be installed by Lancashire-based, VolkerInfra.
Ørsted has committed to a Community Fund worth approximately £465,000 each year for 20 years. £75,000 of the Fund each year is ring-fenced for a ‘Skills Fund’.
The Fund supports community and environmental projects along the Yorkshire, Lincolnshire and the North Norfolk coasts (as far as Wells-next-the-Sea), within a defined area. It is split equally between two annual funding rounds. There are two levels of grants available:
Small grants between £1,000 and £5,000
Main grants between £5,001 and £50,000
Applications to the Fund are made using an online application system via the GrantScape website; www.grantscape.org.uk
Working at Ørsted
Any current vacancies are advertised online http://bit.ly/WorkForOrsted where there is also a form to register interest in specific fields.
Ørsted does not accept unsolicited job applications or CVs.
Working with Ørsted
With massive construction projects, comes huge opportunities for UK companies. Ørsted actively works with UK suppliers to help the offshore wind supply chain develop in the UK. If you are a supplier looking to get involved in one of our offshore wind farms , please register your interest here: https://orsted.com/en/About-us/Procurement/Supplier-registration
Ørsted and a selection of its Hornsea 2 tier 1 contractors, including VolkerInfra, held a supply chain development event in Rotherham on 14th November. VolkerInfra followed up for its cable installation scope with a meet the buyer event near Grimsby in mid-December for nearly 50 companies. VolkerInfra is now in the process of assessing those companies against their requirements.
Ørsted A/S. Press release - Ørsted to hold community information events about the onshore cable route for Hornsea Two. URL: https://orsted.co.uk/Media/Newsroom/News/2019/01/Orsted-to-hold-community-inform.... [Date Accessed: 21/01/2019].
Business & Finance
Health, Safety & Environment
Business & Finance
Business & Finance